Warum wir niemals konventionelle Seide verwenden würden
It's interesting: For materials like cotton, there is already an awareness regarding differences between conventional and organic cotton. The distinction between the qualities of silk (and attention: one may not like to hear this, but also the involved environmental pollution) is still largely unknown territory. Why? Because silk is associated with a high-quality material per se. Historically, it represents a fabric reserved for kings and queens, and it is more expensive to manufacture than most other natural materials.
However, even with natural materials the fact applies that the manufacturing process makes the difference in quality. To learn the differences, we have listed the main points below. Silk is not automatically a high quality material.
At La Katz we want to change the industry standard and we aim for healthy clothes. That's why our rule is: only pure and biological materials.
It is our philosophy to question current conditions. It is our aim not only to realize partial improvements but to change the entire value chain. For this reason we have chosen a unique organic silk.
It is my wish to develop an awareness and a demand for a silk that not only looks noble, but is also produced in a noble way. The way clothes are made ultimately affects everyone.
You choose what you put on your skin.
- 99% of the silk from which our clothing is made, consists of conventional silk.
- For the most part this is made in China. And that's a serious problem as the mode of production is harmful to the environment
- Similar to cotton, cause for major environmental concerns in silk production are the chemical fertilizers and pesticides
- These are poisons that not only damage soil biodiversity but also endanger and harm workers
- Silk is traded by weight on the world market. That is why it is made heavier with chromium, lead and toxic salts
- The silkworms are killed with hot water or steam before they hatch to prevent the cocoons from being broken
- 50,000 silkworms are boiled alive for just one silk dress
- Hazardous chemicals such as optical brighteners are normally used for the finishing process
Most importantly, silk can no longer deliver its unique benefits (it hydrates the skin)
Only pure and biological materials
La Katz Silk
- We only use Organic Peace Silk, a certified organic silk that enables the metamorphosis of the silkworm to the butterfly
- No use of pesticides or genetic sprays. Mosquito nets are used to protect the silkworms from harmful insects or birds
- Once the butterflies have left their cocoons, the cocoons are processed without the use of harmful chemicals
- Toxic salts are completely banned in our production. We only add natural soap. It’s eco friendly and certified organic
- The untreated silk is completely biodegradable
The production promotes biodiversity, protects workers and animals
Our organic silk can unfold the natural properties of silk: It hydrated and nourishes the skin